Thursday, December 1, 2011

...continue the prep

...so much to do

Note:  This is a random post.  No continuity.  No flow.  Just my thoughts.

I certainly bring on the crazy myself.  I find this to be such an exciting time of year...I can't help myself trying to plan and plan and execute.  And without Mark here to ground me...I am getting a little out-of-control!

Last night I was 'busy busy busy' not writing sentences one hundred zillion times like Professor Hinkle from Frosty the Snowman, but I was putting together our family Advent activities for December, my Random Acts of Kindness things for Mark, and finishing up preparations for the book fair at Augustinian.  

Let me just put it out there that while I compose MANY different ideas for our Advent activities every morning I don't ACTUALLY put them in there until the morning.  For different reasons:

  1. I have 'peekers'.
  2. The weather may not cooperate for the activity (A walk in the dark while it's snowing for example is difficult to do if the temperatures don't drop below 40 degrees).
  3. I might not WANT to do a particular activity for that day (Who every really wants to string popcorn?).
  4. Or days like today...when I went to the store to purchase said activity (to make a gingerbread house...I know I could have MADE the gingerbread but even I am not crazy enough to go that far) I realized I had forgotten my wallet for the activity and not only had to walk away empty-handed but I also had to beg my way back on post.
  5. So there is always a "Mom's Choice" option in the Advent calendar queue.  Bummer I had to use this so early in the month!
Tonight's activity:  Making milkshakes after dinner...no strings attached.  Meaning each child got a shake even if....gasp....they didn't eat their dinner!

Holiday milkshake cheers!
Which brings me to news from the other day.  Remember my distress about my appointment with the doctor.  How she discounted my 'mommy's intuition' and decided that Abbey was clinically depressed and that her BMI was too high?  Well thankfully she ran the iron test anyhow and yep, you guessed it.  Abbey is anemic.  She encouraged me to fortify her diet and encourage her to eat more iron rich foods (cause four-year-olds love all that healthy crap!).  I made sure to make Abbey's milkshake with skim milk, spinach, a bit of kale, and some beets.  All the Christmas colors combined!  Just kidding.

If we were keeping score it would be:

Mom: 1
Doctor: 0

I feel vindicated.  Is this a very 'holidayish' feeling?  

Maybe I need to seek out a therapist.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that doctor needs to keep her trap shut. 50% of doctors graduated at the bottom half of their class....and in my limited experience, it seems as though a lot of those doctors are in the military (thanks to student loan forgiveness programs).

    ReplyDelete