Sunday, September 25, 2011

...to talk about my "Ten Weeks to Wellness Plan"

...My team is eight weeks in and en total, the group has lost 73 pounds.

I, however, have barely contributed to the combined total.  At this point I have lost only five pounds.  This number hasn't changed since I left West Point.  I suppose I should be happy that I haven't gained any weight with the way I have been feeding my family; but, my calorie intake isn't a part of this story today.

My friend Beth recommended we do this together.  She thought it would be fun if we could motivate one another and maybe...if the stars and the moon aligned our schedules, we could even run together every now and then.


The plan began like this:  I paid $100 dollars to be part of this team.  In turn I receive motivational emails, and goals to reach each week.  The program is really well thought out.  However, the bottom line is the number of calories in has to be less than the number of calories burned.  This equals weight loss.  Simple math.  Not rocket science.

I am not using this blog entry to complain about my weight.  I don't consider myself fat.  I know however, that I would feel healthier, have a little more energy, and my clothes would fit better, if I were another ten pounds lighter.

The trainer of this program has the best of intentions and surely has tried her best to motivate me to try harder despite the circumstances and curve balls I was thrown these past eight weeks.

After politely explained why it wasn't really going to be possible for me to sign-up for a local race (e.g., 5K, 10K) she really encouraged me to sign up for one anyway.  She said it is really important to have a goal to train for.   Huh? My goal is merely to get out and run four days a week.  But, out-of-guilt I have looked (so far to no-avail) to find something close to try to participate in.


It wasn't supposed to be like this.  I wasn't supposed to have been here.  I wasn't supposed to have moved where I have no familiar babysitters.  Young girls who actually loved being around my kids.  And I could have called one of them at little more than a moments notice and someone would have been available for me...just so I could have gone for a run with Beth.

Instead, in order to exercise, this is what I had to do this morning...(frankly every time we go for a run)
1) Get breakfast for all of the kids.  And a simple bowl of cereal wasn't on the menu today (I really use this term menu loosely...remember my post from the other day?).  Instead, today the kids wanted poached eggs.
2) Clean up breakfast.
3) Hand out the morning medicines.  Isabella allergy regime.  Me, thyroid stuff.  And finally, Timber, pee-on-carpet regime.
4) Get everyone dressed.  At least Number 1 and Number 2 can do this on their own.
5) Fix everyone's hair so the wind doesn't blow it in their little mouths in the stroller.  This problem could make a run extremely miserable for me.
6) Make sure everyone went potty.
7) Gather snacks.  And water.  Because, god forbid someone get hungry or thirsty in the 30 minutes we plan on being away.
8) Get the little girls' shoes on.
9) Shove them out the door AND into their prospective riding arrangement.

Only today I wasn't fast enough on this last step and number four took the opportunity to hop on her own bike...took me ten minutes to coax her into the stroller.

10) Get the little ones in the stroller.
11) Don't let me forget to mention that I had to hook Timber up and bring her along as well....

And can I talk about the empathetic looks I get while I run down the road with my two older children (all of 6 and 8) riding in front of me while pushing my two younger children (all 35 and 25 pounds of them) while towing the dog along?  The persons in their vehicles have these sweet 'feeling sorry for you' smiles on their faces and the meaning behind their eyes is something like, "Lady, you must be flippin' crazy!"

I haven't even mentioned the moans and the groans I have to endure from the peanut gallery..."Are we going that far?  Why can't we go the short way?  Do we have to?  I want to ride my scooter!  Can't I stay home?  (You get the picture...)


Anyhow, I get the simple math structure of calories in vs. calories out.  But seriously, can't the little calorie counter in my body have a little mercy?  

Calorie counter...please have a little mercy on me.  
I am trying.  
I surely get an A for effort.  
I mean REALLY, I have burned more calories just trying to shove everyone out the freaking door than I probably do while I am running!


I am just sayin'....

2 comments: