Wednesday, September 21, 2011

...to do a task I have never done

...I DID IT!

I am really proud of myself to say that I solved a problem, start to finish, about my car without consulting Mark, my dad, my brother, or my father-in-law, or my neighbor.

Now first I should preface this story with the fact that I am not necessarily proud of the fact that I have never done this.  I have watched others do this several times.  In fact I watched my neighbor do it for me just a few weeks ago.  And I was determined not to call on him to jump start my van...again.

I wish I knew why the battery had died today.  I have no idea.  It doesn't really matter.

I just know when I got the girls all loaded up this morning to run our errands, there was the familiar click when I turned the key.

Ugh.

I am proud because frankly I didn't get upset.  Not even a little irritated.

I just traded vehicles, schlepped the girls off to daycare, took care of the errands I needed to run and then came home to tackle my problem.

I thought about calling on Donny. Or even calling USAA (after all its free right?).

I have come to learn that I can google just about anything.  Voila.  Google to the rescue.

I have read stories of women who are incredibly independent and handy.  I think it is admirable there are women who change the oil in their cars, put together their children's play sets, and many even are handy with power tools.  I have always admired them.  Not that I really wanted to do these tasks.  Because frankly, I have always had the men in my life willing to do these tasks for me (case in point, both my father-in-law and my dad took care of the lawn while they were here).

I can run a lawn mower and a weed wacker just as well as most any person.  (Is this not what a trimmer is really called?  The spell-check is showing an error?)  These are just not jobs that I choose to squeeze into my generally full days.

The van issue...out-of-my-box.

Yea for me!  Problem solved.  No neighbor bothered.  And now I can add 'can jump-start a vehicle' to my resume.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job Krissy. In case google is not available for your rescue call, how to jump start your van is also in the owner's manual (located in the glove box).

    ReplyDelete