Wednesday, October 3, 2012

...to relax and let the crazy

...just happen.

This work day/soccer grind evening wasn't as smooth as it could have been.  Honestly it was like a train wreck.  Add some drizzle, muddy kids, unfinished homework, and warm milk left on the counters and it was all a recipe for a Momma meltdown.

I could feel it coming on.

They had their instructions to immediately begin their 'evening' routine.  You know, shower, brush teeth, etc...

But first they all pleaded their 'need' for dessert.  They must have sensed weakness.  I caved.

Our agreement was dessert then bedtime routine.

They all picked frozen cookie dough balls.  Important information for later in the story.

While they were eating I left the kitchen area to go through in a load of laundry.  With very strict instructions to commence with their bedtime routines when they were finished.

They sensed defeat was within their grasp.

(Side note:  The weather was YUCK tonight.  Drizzle.  Super wet.  Blech.  Thus the soccer clothes were disgusting.  So gross I made them undress in the garage.  And thus, #1 was eating her dessert of choice in her tighty whities.)

When I returned, to check on my crew for accountability, chaos had struck.

Heathen's victory.

The ipod was blaring The Devil Came Down From Georgia. (ironic?) The frozen cookie dough balls were no longer frozen.  Abbey and Will were wrestling.  Audrey was creating a masterpiece with the fuse beads...all over my kitchen floor.  And Isabella was fine turning her Power Point skills in the office...still only in her tighty whities.

I did the only sensible thing I could think of...I put the rest of those, now un-frozen, cookie dough balls in the oven.

And then got one-child-at-a-time ready for bed.

And everything was all better.

---------------------------------------------------

And then watched a bit of baseball with Will.  AND then Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown!

---------------------------------------------------

I made up these cookies last week.  My children think they are the BEST ever.  Amy (and Mark would side with her) still prefers my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies.

But in case you'd like to try the-cookies-that-will-make-everything-all-better, here's my recipe:

1 c shortening
1 c unsalted butter
2 c brown sugar
2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 T vanilla
4 c flour
5 c ground oatmeal
6 ounces ground sweetened baking squares (a big chocolate bar would do)
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 bags of Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips

Bake at 375 for around 12-15 minutes (I make them slightly undercooked and only lightly browned).

And freeze half the batter into dough balls...my kids love them more than warm cookies.



1 comment:

  1. I am glad this day of craziness is over for you and the kids! Next time you should just let me take them!

    ReplyDelete