Sunday, October 14, 2012

...to be so thankful

...for Amy

#3 was sick today.

Really sick.

The kind of sick that makes a momma panic.

I understand that colds, fevers, and flus typically have to just run their course.

I think that ibuprofen and tylenol can cure just-about-any-ache-or-pain and I usually administer it promptly to my children when they are feeling under the weather.  This, in my opinion, helps the said colds, fevers, and flus, run their course less painfully.

Today was different.

Abbey woke up weepy.  Complaining of her back hurting and a stomach ache.  I dismissed this.  Then came the fever.  I gave her Tylenol.  Then came the writhing pain.  She said she couldn't breathe.  She couldn't lay down.  She couldn't sit up.  She couldn't catch her breath to breathe.  I began to cry with her.

I called my friend to come right away.

Of course she did.

She calmed me down.

#3 settled down and promptly fell asleep.

My mind was racing with all of the things that could be wrong; but over and over I thought it might be appendicitis and decided it needed to be ruled out.

Amy is such a blessing to me and to my children.  When I told her I needed to take Abbey in, she said of course you do.  No questions asked.  She dropped everything she was doing and dragged her own crew over to my home to come over and stay with #1, 2, & 4.

When Abbey and I got back late this evening Amy had the house tidy, the cherubs fed, and all of them dressed and ready for bed.

The beautiful thing about my friendship with her is I didn't worry once about imposing on her.  Because it wasn't an imposition.

She just stepped in to take care of my family when I needed her.

And for that I am so very thankful.

________________________

The doctor's diagnosis for Abbey is a UTI that may already be migrating to her kidneys.  Thus, his explanation for her back pain (she says there is no pain when she urinates).




2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope Abbey is feeling better today. That sounds miserable. So glad Amy was there to help! Hoping today is a better one for everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. I'm so thankful Abbey is on the mend, and that we are friends! Everything is better knowing you have a friend you can count on for anything! I know you would do the same for me without a second thought. Hugs girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete