Sunday, November 20, 2011

...to have a lazy day

...and recover from the kids' first sleepovers.

We did nothing.

I started off my day catching up with my old dear friend Kris M. and we even both got to finish a cup of coffee in one conversation together!

Please don't get the idea this means our conversation was uninterrupted.  I tell you, kids can smell the phone.  They must have special sensors placed in different locations throughout our house.  Because when I picked up the hone to call Kris all six kids were scattered in various places throughout our ginormous house; and I went to hide out in my tiny little workout room/closet.  Sure enough...within moments of beginning our conversation the fumes from the connection between the plastic of my phone and my ear must have been wafting up toward the stairway.  Then wammo bammo number 4 was at my feet ready to complain, #3 all-of-a-sudden needed a drink of water, followed by....you get the picture.

But I digress.

It was fun to catch up with her.

We barely got dressed today.

Instead the kids played.  And watched TV.  And made a fort in the living.  And ate snacks.

"Fort" Drum.
It was a lovely start to our day!

After their friends went home the little girls napped and Will and Isabella and I each went to do our own thing.

Here is where my story gets interesting.

I decided to start my holiday baking.  Dinner rolls.  Pumpkin scones.  French onion dip.  Caramelized onions.

Isabella went to go and play on the computer.

Will went to go out to play some baseball in the backyard.

Here is a snippet of our conversation that followed ten minutes later; after my hands were covered in pumpkin dough.

Will:  Hey Mom!  (All out of breath)  You have really got to clean up all of the dog poop in our yard.  
Me:  Huh? 
Will:  Yea Mom.  I just saw it and it is everywhere.  You have got to take care of it NOW.  
Me:  (Idea bulb 'pings' in my head.  With a hint of evil to it.) 
Me:  You are right Will.  It does need to be taken care of.  And today is a perfect day.  Why don't you grab your sister and the two of you can add that to your list of chores.
          Will:  No!  I am NOT going to do that.

          Me:  (Thought bulb in my head:  Why have I not thought of this sooner!)
Me:  (Thought bubble:  To ensure it is done well I have to come up with something smarter than they are.) 
Me:  To Will and Isabella:  "I am going to give you your allowance plus and extra $10 a piece.  I know this is a crummy job and no one wants to do it.  You have to do it together.  And for every pile you miss, I will subtract a dollar."
          Me:  (Thought bulb:  I am brilliant.  I should get a MOM genius star or something for that caveat!)


A few of the choice comments Will uttered in an incredibly whiny voice during the several attempts at avoidance and quitting his newly acquired job:

THAT IS SO MEAN!
THIS I ALL BECAUSE OF ME.
(my favorite) THIS IS YOUR JOB!  HOW COME WE HAVE TO DO IT?
YOU AREN'T EVEN DOING ANYTHING. (pictures to follow)
I AM NOT EVER DOING THAT AGAIN!
THAT IS A HORRIBLE JOB! 
Guess who won't remind me to clean up the back yard ever again?

For the record:  When I wasn't 'doing anything'...

Pumpkin Scones
Yum.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are over payiny, but I love the idea of subtracting $....

    ReplyDelete