Friday, November 11, 2011

...to celebrate Veteran's Day

...Fort Drum style

I thought this was a really cute photo op; I wish the quality of the picture were better.  Abbey was mesmerized (while she was feeding her baby) by the opening ceremony of the Michigan State vs. North Carolina basketball game this evening that took place on board the USS Carl Vinson.  What a tribute for the American Soldier; especially for those in attendance.  Even the President and his wife were in attendance!



We started our day off with a the Boy Scout parade in a very small local community.  I think it took us twice as long to drive there, than the parade actually lasted.

Here are my gals waiting for the parade to start:

Audrey refused to be in this photo.  :)

Vietnam and World War II Vets led the parade:

Can you see Will?

Here is my little man...
Isn't he a handsome little Boy Scout!
Thankfully that is NOT his leader walking there behind him IN the parade with his cell phone.

We all got to talk with Mark this afternoon and then spent the rest of the day at home.  We played a little baseball, ate a nice meal, and said a special prayer for Daddy.

I'll conclude with a little story that is very appropriate to share today:
Most every evening of late, after I get the kids to bed, I come downstairs to sit next to the fire with a cup of tea and my computer.  This is my quiet time.  A time i DO NOT like to be interrupted with footsteps over my head, calls for water, or worse...visits from my children into 'my-space' (which for the record is the entire downstairs).

My children understand that I turn into an ogre after 9:00.  And typically are pretty good after the final bedtime call.

In fact as I write this...Isabella just came into 'my-space' and announced as she was walking through that I shouldn't "freak-out"; she was only getting her book.

The night before last William dared enter my space.  Also announcing his intentions before he crossed my imaginary line.  He came over to kiss me, one last time before he went back upstairs and said,

"Wow.  This is nice.  It is very warm here.  You like your tea Mom?  I think I would like to sit and work at the computer in front of the fire when I am old.  (pause) Except I guess I will have to be the one to go to Afghanistan and work there too (like Dad)?"
I just gave my little boy a hug.  Secretly hoping that I don't have to send him too.  Worried that he carries such heavy thoughts in his little heart.  Proud that he understands this sacrifice and yet accepts what he believes is his responsibility.

Happy Veteran's Day to those who are willing/have done their part.








1 comment:

  1. i love that kids don't question the sacrifice. they embrace it and live it. there are tears sometimes but they understand the greater good--even at such young ages. my kids and i call it spirit and guts. military children didn't get to make the choice yet they tend to have more grace than most adults. thank you to your children.

    ReplyDelete