Thursday, October 27, 2011

...to talk discipline

...huh?


dis·ci·pline

 [dis-uh-plin]  Show IPA noun, verb, -plined, -plin·ing.
noun
1.
training to act in accordance with rules; drill: militarydiscipline.
2.
activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves askill; training: A daily stint at the typewriter is excellentdiscipline for a writer.
3.
punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.
4.
the rigor or training effect of experience, adversity, etc.:the harsh discipline of poverty.
5.
behavior in accord with rules of conduct; behavior and ordermaintained by training and control: good discipline in anarmy.


I could dissect some of the words up there even more like act in accordance (You said stay in bed...you didn't say whose bed to stay in.)

But instead, let me be succinct people...there is no discipline this in this house!
They wear me out.  There are four of them.  And only one of me.

I am just saying I want a little control.  A little r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

Will says I need "easier consequences".  Meaning: do not take away things like DS, Wii, or TV time instead make him "not read or something".

Abbey and Audrey might as well flip their hair and say "Whatever!" when I punish them.

And let's not forget about Isabella.  Yes, she is sweet.  But you have to keep an eye on that #1 of ours...she is a sneaky one.  Never outwardly trouble or sullen but if she thinks she might be able to get away with something than 'whoosh' in a blink, her crime is complete!

I just read an interesting book called, "Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Parent is More Fun and Less Work than You Think ".  His theory: Parents put too much pressure on themselves; they should sit back and enjoy the ride while they are raising their kids.

The argument he makes is that children will turn out to be who they are going to be in the long run in spite of their upbringing.  Research suggests while parenting surely has immediate, short-term effects on children's behavior; in the long run, kids are going to be who they are, because that is how they were wired.

I am about ready to put his theory into practice.  While I would love for my cherubs to be disciplined for me now; if they are going to be upstanding citizens regardless of how many times I go upstairs and put them back into bed...then I say, "Let them be sleepy in the morning!"

1 comment:

  1. Where was this research done? UofK? University of Kabul? Let me know how it works out when your kids are on Dr. Phil or Oprah's couch.

    ReplyDelete