Sunday, October 30, 2011

...to recover from our latest trip

...but not in the way that we are.  Not from a stomach bug running through our friends AND us.

To begin..

The trip was worth it.  Even if we had only stayed for five minutes.  Abbey and Audrey started squealing with excitement the moment we rounded the bend toward our old home at West Point.  So familiar and so exciting!  They love..loved seeing all of the Glen kids as they came to the door to meet us.  All of my kids were just beaming at arrival.

It was heart-melting to see the four of them so happy to be in such a familiar place.

We had an a fantastic time at West Point catching up with a few friends.  The weather wasn't cooperative enough to hang out at the Beth and Chris' tailgate or even take the little girls to the football game.

However, Andy was kind enough to take Will with him and Gabriel.  They bundled up in snow suits and gear and lasted until half-time!  Crazy...

I stole this photo from my friend Lisa on Facebook.  :)

It was very relaxing for me to sit and talk with friends throughout the day.  Drinking coffee.   Catching up while watching the snow come down.  It was an impressive sight to watch.  So lovely especially since it was so cozy and warm inside.

There certainly was not enough time to see everyone I would have liked.

The highlight of my weekend was finally getting to meet the newest love in my life...

Isn't he absolutely perfect!
I am smitten.  I wish he wasn't so far away and I could spend more time with him!  And big-brother Paddy is getting so grown up.  It was adorable watching him with Abbey and Audrey again.

The kids all had so much fun seeing their friends.  The little girls were champs being dragged all over Post yesterday visiting.  It was such a refreshing day for all of us.  We needed that little pick-me-up for sure.

I wish the weekend had ended on a happier note.  I have endured more than my share of road trips but I will say without reserve the trip home this afternoon was the worst one I have ever endured or put my children through.

Both Will and Audrey came down with a stomach bug on the way home.  I am not exaggerating when I say that they threw up 40 times or more.  

I have never felt so unsure about what to do in a situation.  I wanted to stop and get a hotel room.  I called Meghan crying...not knowing what to do. Stop?  Continue?  Another 3 hours!  Oh my.

I pressed on.  

Will and Audrey did the best that they could.  They were such troopers.  I can't imagine a worse place to be than the car when you feel as awful as they must have.  

I am quite certain that I never expected seeing Fort Drum's gate would be such a welcome site.

Now the laundry is running.  

The kids are all sleeping.  

And I'm going to say a few prayers to St. Timothy (I looked him up...he is the Patrol Saint of Stomach Ailments) that he help my kids (and the Glen kids) recover and that we didn't spread this around to all of the other people we spent time with!

And just in case...I am going to get some rest now.






3 comments:

  1. Hope everyone is feeling better in the morning and you are feeling recharged from your weekend away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should have posted the one of you and cormac - that one is so cute too :) And, I hope you locked your doors. AND...i am saying lots of prayers that tomorrow is a better day for you. love you - and miss you guys like crazy already. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you went. Despite the plague that descended on your car on the trip home, it seems like exactly what you needed. Meghan- Cormac is so cute! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete