Tuesday, October 25, 2011

...to be a grouch about costumes

...who thought of this anyway?

I know how Halloween came to be.  But tell me why was this tradition continued...because I am sorry, Halloween the way we know it now, ain't nothing like why it started.

So was it Mr. Walmart?  Mr. Halloween Central Store?  Maybe Nestle?  That kept it going....
I am all about the candy; but why couldn't the person who wanted to collect treats have dropped the costuming piece?

It may have come as a surprise to you to know that I am a scrooge about Halloween.  There is no question that I love fall, and leaves, and pumpkins and gourds.  However, I despise figuring out costumes.   And for the record, I hate pumpkin carving even more.  I mean really...who likes to stick their hand in one and come up with a sticky gooey mess of seeds and slime!  More about this tomorrow.

Somewhere in the depths of the 'picture drawer' of my childhood home there is proof that dressing up isn't my forte.  (In the particular photo I am thinking of, I am an unusually large, pink rabbit and my brother is a hobo ghost?  Ever heard of that one? Really?  A hobo ghost?  If I come across the photo I will post it.)  Frankly I (and my brother too) am traumatized by the costuming skills of my mother.

could have embraced this reality and have tried to break-the-cycle to make up for my scarred past.  Which consisted of costumes of hobo's, babies, and even worse...a bunny.  I could create costumes for my children and come up with clever ways to paint and cut boxes but you'll see in a few photos where that got my poor Isabella.  Instead, I sit back, complain and repeat the terrible cycle of throwing together my kids costumes.

I have no doubts that my children are going to be scarred by Halloween like myself...check out some these costumes for proof ....

I actually still think this one is cute....guess I should have stopped here.
Dumbo and a flower.  Isabella tells me this was her worst costume...
but surely the heart is a close second?
Have you seen Nemo er Will smile yet?
Will told me today he 'forgot' about this costume.  Forgot?  or Repressed the memory?  I can see my little man lying on the 'psycho sofa' now...

These costumes are pretty good.  Yes?
Sadly...I think my costuming skills peaked here! 
Slash, Princess, Pippi, Butterfly, and Power Ranger (reincarnated!)

This year, you'll see I caved and opted to let them purchase their costumes at Walmart.  Isabella picked a Mario guy and Will picked one of the Star Wars characters.  Poor Abbey and Audrey have to dig through the costume bin....so yep, you'll probably see both the alligator and the butterfly again.


To make up for my shortcomings, I'll let them eat as much candy as they want next week just like my parents did.  And I'll offer to pay for their therapy later...

3 comments:

  1. I think I must have worn off on you because I don't remember you ever being grouchy about Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think their costumes are great...maybe with the exception of the heart. That one is lame. But all are better than ours growing up. Even to this day, I am terrible at halloween. I was going as 'Bob the Builder' until I got to work and was informed by several of his fans that Bob wears a yellow hardhat; Bob has a lunch box; Bob doesn't wear a toolbelt, he carry's a tool box. At the end of the day, I was simply Bob Villa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how Will isn't smiling while wearing a costume until just last year....
    It's clear the trauma has started.

    ReplyDelete