Saturday, August 27, 2011

...to get to Drum

...here we are Drum.  What have ya got?


We left West Point today and I cried even more tears than I thought I would.  And I always cry...I am the girl who wears her emotions on her sleeves.  I have cried for nearly two weeks now.  Some days more than others but only because I become so attached to those I love.

So here I am.  Exhausted.  Emotionally drawn.  But at the same time incredibly hopeful and ready for the next chapter.

We walked into our new home and it is as nice as it looks in the picture.  It is a great new home.  In a perfect neighborhood with houses spaced exactly, appropriately apart.  But of course it isn't my big, beautiful, historical home.  I know. I sound like such a snob.  But I loved that house and grew to love that post.

I am trying hard to imagine our household goods in all the nooks and crannies of this place and I am hopeful that my children will fit quickly into the cliques that surely already exist.  But I will not lie, I feel a little empty inside.  It is harder than I thought to start over on my own.  However, I know that when we leave here in two years...I'll feel just the same as I do now.  I'll cry for several days and worry about my kids and wonder how all my 'stuff' will fit into our next new home. Because I will have learned to love this place, just as much as West Point.

The highlights of our day today:

We traveled today for six rather uneventful hours.  With a carful of a clothes, random leftover household items (a die from Monopoly, several household plants, a cross left on the wall, three bouncy balls found under the heater right before we left, a few boxes of cereal...), a dog, two mice (sorry Mark, Will was unwilling to part with these rodents), and obviously four kids.  Our van was FULL.

When we arrived here at Fort Drum the kids immediately began to run through the house.  They went upstairs, downstairs, outside.  Timber was equally excited.  Excited enough to throw up no less than seven times on the freshly cleaned carpet of our Master bedroom!  Unfortunately the green machine was NOT one of the random items in our van (consequently that will be our first Walmart purchase tomorrow at Target).  Awesome.

We unloaded the van.  Filled up the refrigerator from items we brought form West Point and proceeded to smash a full jar of olives on the freshly mopped floors.  Glass and olive juice everywhere.  Awesome.

Thank goodness I already have a friend here to drink a glass of wine (or two) with.

We were met with open arms from my friend Amy (from West Point) who has been more than helpful with our transition.  She and her husband had us over for dinner tonight and then Johnny had the pleasure of having to jump my van later in the evening.  Just for your information it is NOT a good idea to let your children play in the van while you unload it from a six hour road trip and then NOT check on what things they may have left on....agh.  Awesome.

Really.  I can't make this shtuff up.

Bring it on Fort Drum.  I am ready...the story can only get better from here.


1 comment: