Thursday, March 12, 2015

...to try a new recipe

...this evening.

One of my New Year's resolutions was supposed to be try one new recipe a week.

However, I never exactly had the opportunity to make any resolutions.  Which means I didn't technically break any resolutions either....however, this was something I wanted to try to be more diligent about.

Following a menu plan makes our life so much easier.  I know I have said before.  A menu keeps me accountable, keeps the kids accountable, and assures we eat even on evenings when all four of our children have four different activities.

When I do plan my menu, I always note the days we have activities and the days we are free.  Which usually actually means days that activities don't start until 6:30pm on 'free evening'.  This means we can eat dinner at a normal time.  This all translate to:  I have time to prepare something that preferably will be ready in less than an hour.

This recipe caught my eye a few weeks ago.

This meal was well received by each member of the family.  Maybe I should write that sentence again?

Someone always complains in our house...but not tonight.  Even Will, who doesn't love chicken didn't complain.

I'll admit I didn't exactly follow the recipe.  This means I left out all the key ingredients such as the ground mustard, the parmesan, and the lemon and I didn't exactly cook it completely in the fry pan...but the preparation method was the same.  And the chicken was still delicious.

These are the directions I would give:

Take one humungous package of chicken
Slice each large piece of chicken into cutlet thickness'
salt & pepper them
dredge each piece in flour
dredge each piece in beaten eggs
dredge each piece in panko crumbs

Fry chicken in batches in an iron skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side in peanut oil or olive oil.
(If necessary) bake in an oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 in a large baking pan.
(I didn't cut my chicken thin enough and it wasn't quite done after I fried it.)

I also did as the article suggested and went ahead and prepared the rest of that giant batch of chicken then placed it in the freezer ready to just be prepared for our next meal.

Two meals, one mess.  This is a bonus recipe.


1 comment:

  1. I make panko/ pan-friend chicken tenders ALL THE TIME over here too! It really is one of the few meals everyone will eat! And, another tip I've found that makes it easier... I preheat the oven to about 300 and as soon as the chicken pieces are browned on both sides, but still raw in the center, I put them in the oven to finish baking and start the next batch on the stove top. I find this keeps the chicken from drying out (whenever I tried to pan fry the chicken completely through, they end up dry). This method also helps when I have free time, say around 4pm, but we're not ready to eat dinner obviously. I pan fry the panko chicken and let it stay warming in the oven until we're ready to eat! Another favorite around here lately that's super easy... I cut chicken into about 1.5 inch cubes, dredge them in a little brown sugar, and roll them with 1/2 slice of bacon! Cook at 425 until the chicken is cooked and bacon is crispy. YUM!! No crying!

    ReplyDelete