Tuesday, June 14, 2011

...make dinner for my family

...I did it.  The first, thoughtful, real meal I have made since Mark has left.

Ever since Mark has left, life has been a little crazy.  For the most part we are just getting by.  Especially in the area of mealtimes.  I have thrown in leftovers, frozen partial meals from the past few months, and mercifully been invited to our neighbors a few times.

About two weeks ago I joined a food co-op.  It is a 10-week program and each week I get a variety of organic, fresh vegetables.  My goal in doing this was to encourage myself and the kids to each more veggies and hopefully motivate me to continue cooking throughout the summer.

This second week's 'take' included:

Strawberries (delicious)
Spinach (this doesn't look ANYTHING like what comes in the bag at the store)

The spinach is at the bed of the cutting board and in the big bowl

Pretty all sauteed up...isn't it?

Large Green Onions (I have never seen these before)
Potatoes
Carrots (my kids were interested that these were long and pointed (not short and stubby, washed and peeled!)
Scapes (huh??)
And a 'spring mix' (which included after some research:  Swiss chard: Yuck.  Dandeloin: Seriously I am supposed to each this stuff? and a few other unknown greens...blech!).  There was no way I was going to my troop to eat this one...So the Army Mules have enjoyed some yummy meals this week!

I digress.  My goal was to use up this week's veggies before I get a new batch tomorrow.  On the menu for this evening....

Spinach sauteed with scapes (a garlic like vegetable I learned), olive oil, and Salt and Pepper mixed into a stuffing for Manicotti
Crushed tomatoes with scapes, olive oil, and fresh herbs (parsley and basil from my pots outsides)
Watermelon (imported from who knows where courtesy of the Commissary)
And garlic bread (thanks to my friend Meghan...Delicious!)

I have to admit that the dinner was delicious as judged by five empty plates and NO moans and groans.  But check out what my kitchen looked like after I got the dish into the oven....between the kids chaos and my mess.  I need professional help.


No comments:

Post a Comment