Thursday, January 12, 2012

...to sit down and read this evening

...not a book but some articles I have wanted to read.

On tap for this evening was one that caught my eye on Facebook today...

"What Military Children Won't Tell You About Being Asked, "Where Are You From?"

I wasn't expecting this article to make me feel better about our lifestyle of choice; but I also didn't expect it to make me feel sad for our children.  But it did.

Many thoughts went through my head when I read this article.  But the thought that really sticks with me is that, "Wow...my life (and Mark's) was really different compared theirs".  And that is sad.  Because we had great childhoods.

This question is easy for us to answer.  Both city and state.  Before heading off to college, we each had only lived in two different homes.  Isabella was off to her second home by the time she was seven-months-old.  Even Audrey has already lived in three homes.

I am saddened, because our children won't be able to experience the life that we did.  Their grandparents are not close.  Their aunts, uncles, and cousins are NOT a stone's throw away.  They are not going to have their middle school friends be in their weddings.  I am sad because these are all experiences we loved.  Our children won't ever get to experience these things.

I am also a little sad because they can't raise their left hand and point with their right hand to show where they are from.

The move here to Fort Drum was a particularly stressful move.  Even still we struggle (especially Isabella and I) with what/whom we have left behind.  But this is our lifestyle.

We even have a pretty good idea of when we will be moving again.  Yet, hopefully I am providing an example to my children to embrace our new surroundings and make this a home that we loved just as much as West Point.  And in less than ten weeks it will feel even more like our home!

I think that for the most part, Mark and I believe that the military has a lot to offer us in terms of our professional goals and aspirations; AND it also provides our family with great opportunities.

I feel very strongly that if our thoughts were to change on this matter than Mark would get out.

But don't many Americans feel this way about their jobs?  Aren't many of them trying to make their children's lives more rich and fulfilling while also trying to meet their own professional goals?

I am comforted by the fact that we make the best decisions we can for our children and our family.  Just like any other parent would.

I can only hope that when our children hear this question they'll be able to reflect on the places they have been with smiles in their hearts.

And hopefully, by the time our children are grown, they will have the skills to thrive in their endeavors, not in spite of, but because of the opportunities they have been given.

3 comments:

  1. I really loved this post. We love and miss you, but know that no matter where everyone lives family is stronger than any distance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KMC,
    My name is Diana Hartman. I am the author of "What Military Children Won't Tell You About Being Asked, 'Where Are You From?'" I found myself quite touched by your concerns after reading my article and have referenced your Jan. 12th post in an article I published today. I received a lot of feedback from other parents of young children with concerns very much like your own.

    Today's article is called, "Military Parents Express Concern about Raising Children in the Military"
    http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/military-parents-express-concern-about-raising/

    I hope it will help ease your concerns. Please let me know if it doesn't.

    Sincerely, Diana Hartman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you and Mark and providing a great life for your kids. I don't think you can say it's better or worse than the one we had, it's just different. You're raising four great kids and when their older, they will reflect on a great childhood filled with travels.

    ReplyDelete